One of the largest groups of churches and monasteries of the former Byzantine Empire are found in the Troodos mountain region, right here in Cyprus. The ten churches, which were included on the UNESCO World Heritage List, are all richly decorated with murals and they provide an overview of Byzantine and post-Byzantine painting in Cyprus. The stunning murals bear testimony to the variety of artistic influences affecting Cyprus over a period of 500 years. They range from small churches whose rural architectural style is in stark contrast to their highly refined decoration, to monasteries such as that of St John Lampadistis.
You can learn more about the Byzantine route that includes all UNESCO churches on Heart Cyprus.
1. Timios Stavros Church, Pelendri
2. Panagia tou Araka, Lagoudera
3. Timios Stavros tou Ayiasmati, Platanistasa
4. Panagia tis Asinou, Nikitari
5. Ayios Nikolaos tis Steyis , Kakopetria
6. Ayios Ioannis Lampadistis, Kalopanayiotis
7. Panagia tou Moutoulla