We went to Lidl Cyprus, got fresh and tasty products and prepared one of the most loved traditional food in Cyprus. Fakes Moutzentra is definitely a must try Cypriot food. Healthy, tasty and easy to prepare.
Time for preparation: 10 minutes
Time to cook: 45-50 minutes
- 2 cups of brown lentils
- 2-3 cups of water (just to cover them)
- 1/4 cup of rice Carolina
- 1 big onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or one lemon
- Clean lentils from small stones and wash them.
- Boil lentils for ten minutes, then strain and add fresh water to cover them and put to boil again.
- Heat up the oil and sauté the finely chopped onion until browned, slightly.
- While the lentils start boiling, add the rice, salt and pepper, lemon or vinegar and lower the heat.
- Cook for 15 minutes, add the browned onion together with the oil and mix well.
Serve with black olives or/and Feta cheese